Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mac & Cheese

I've recently come to realize just how much I love this dish (the homemade variety of course). It's my new favorite because of how versatile it is. It can be a basic cheese sauce thrown together in a few minutes when I have nothing but cheese and milk or it can be elaborate and baked with lots of yummy extras thrown in. However I make it I always think of my Mom because it's something she loves, I always think about the particular variation and what she would think of it.

Last week I came up with something new and I've been craving it ever since so I thought I'd post the recipe here. It's super yummy so make it for dinner tonight and enjoy! The secret is the extra aged cheese.

Sharp Rotini Mac & Cheese
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups rotini pasta
3 tomatoes, diced
4 strips of bacon, fried and crumbled

2 cups extra aged cheddar cheese, grated

Cheese Sauce:
2 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp of dried mustard
Salt & Pepper to taste


Place the bread crumbs into a small bowl and mix well with the melted butter; set aside.
Heat a pot over medium-high heat. Add butter and onions and cook 4-5 minutes, add flour and cook another minute. Whisk in milk and broth and bring to a bubble, season with salt, pepper and mustard. Lower heat and add cheese, stirring to melt, one minute. Stir in tomatoes, bacon and rotini.


Pour in casserole dish, top with bread crumb mixture. Bake until the top is golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes.

Enjoy, from my kitchen to yours.
L

1 comments:

chefjama said...

Hey sis,
I agree completely. I make mine with Montgomery cheddar, porcini mushrooms and white truffle. I also add a little bit of creme fraiche to the bechemel to give it a bit of tartness. It's on my next menu as a side dish.