Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pinterest Food Roundup

Thanks to Pinterest we've been eating some especially delicious foods lately and I thought it was time to share a list of food I've been making .

We'll start with the Autumn Chopped Salad

I actually made a salad very similar to this before I saw the pin but they made a couple changes I was intrigued by.  My salad was crisp lettuce, toasted pecans, craisens, Parmesan, feta cheese and a little poppy seed dressing to finish it off.  They skipped the Parmesan but they added pears, bacon and a splash of balsamic vinaigrette.   Now the bacon I thought was unnecessary but the pears and vinaigrette were both salad changing and definitely made it into the usual recipe.  This makes a delicious dinner and would be great at a potluck.

Jalapeno Poppers
Who doesn't love jalapeno poppers?

I'm not super wild about the store bought ones though, something about the breading.  These looked so yummy I thought I'd try them and they did not disappoint, I'd make them again in a heartbeat.  You simply take Pillsbury crescent rolls, cut each one in half and then put a blob of cream cheese, a chunk of a jalapeno and top with a bit of cooked bacon.  Fold them up and bake.  I made one change that I recommend though, these poppers only cook for 10 to 15 minutes which to me meant I was going to have crunchy jalapenos and sure enough someone mentioned that in the comments.  Before I cut up my peppers I threw them in the oven to bake until they were slightly tender.  Also, again both Brad and I thought the bacon was in the way here.  We didn't like the texture of it and I would skip it next time.  Now that's two recipes in a row where I've nixed the bacon so let me just mention that I do really love bacon I just don't think it's needs to be thrown into just anything.

Skinny Baked Potato Soup

This isn't actually a recipe that I made but a friend of mine did and it was awesome.  It uses a whole head of cauliflower to make it a little better for you and I loved it.

Braided Spaghetti Bread


This recipe was actually emailed to me, I didn't find it on Pinterest but of course it's there.  It was so good it deserves two pictures.  You take bread dough and roll it out like you would cinnamon rolls, spread it with garlic olive oil (or butter).  In the centre lay some spaghetti in sauce, top with mozzarella cheese and braid it up.  This was awesome.  Garlic bread and spaghetti together, so good.  Make it tonight.

Better than Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana

Everyone loves the Olive Garden right?  What's not to love so most of you have probably had their Zuppa Toscana soup.  It's a soup with potatoes, sausage and kale among other things.

I'll be the first to admit that this soup is not good for you but it was so amazing we couldn't stop raving about it.  I served it with crusty baguette and don't you dare skip the bread, it was the best part.  Now as much as we loved this soup I would make some changes next time, it had far too much sausage, I'd use half the amount and add extra potatoes.  Also, I could have used more kale so I'll make those changes next time as there will certainly be a next time.

Kung Pao Ramen Noodles
I watched this movie not that long ago called Ramen Girl, now don't rush out and watch it because it really wasn't very good but the entire movie is about the process of making ramen which made me crave it something fierce.  I did a quick Pinterest search and found a bunch of yummy looking variations and this was the one I started with.  It was awesome and easy.

White Chicken Enchiladas

For Christmas dinner this year my Mother in law made white enchiladas and I loved them and wanted more and then I came across this recipe which I loved since it doesn't include any cream of anything soup.  I do think her amounts are a little off though, there's no way her recipe called for enough cheese, I think I doubled it and I didn't fill nearly as many tortillas as she said too.  Also I discovered that I hate leftover enchiladas so next time I'd make a teeny tiny pan of these.  They were awesome the first night though.

Chicken Broccoli Supreme

Here's another no cream of anything soup. It can be tough to find casseroles that don't use a can of nasty stuff but this is a good one.  Now not good for you at all as it's topped with buttered Ritz crackers but it's super yummy and pretty.

Cheesy Bacon Pull Apart Bread

While I was down at my sister's house we went to a potluck so I made this and it was delicious and gone quickly.  Just don't make mistake, make sure your rolls don't thaw too much before you use them.  Mine was much more difficult to make than it should have been.

Pizza Bites

Oh how I love these.  A tiny ball of dough with two slices of pepperoni and a square of mozzarella tucked inside.  You stick them in a pie plate and serve with yummy sauce for dipping, so delicious.

Buffalo Chicken Bites

One last recipe and these I actually haven't tried yet, they're on the menu for dinner tonight and I have high hopes.


So there you have it a handful of tried and tested really delicious meals.  You should incorporate some into your week.  I don't know where you live but today where I live it's a perfect day for Zuppa Toscana.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, there is more than a table here :-).

Jody N L said...

Yum! Trying the chopped salad and spaghetti bread this week! Can't wait