Monday, March 5, 2012

Blue Jewelery Holder

Probably 6 months ago my Mother-in-law asked if I would make her a Jewellery Holder.  It's recently come to my attention that if a project isn't my idea I have very little motivation and it takes me far too long to complete it.  When her birthday rolled around this was the perfect time and the perfect kick to get me to finish.

Now here's where I admit I didn't take a before picture.  I had such a clear picture in my mind of what I wanted it to end up looking like that the transformation seemed like no big deal to me.  It was only when my sister-in-law saw it and was impressed with the change that I realized it really did change a lot.  I'll show you the after and then we can talk about the before.


Before the small section at the top was a cork board and the bigger area was a mirror. It was the classic orangey wood tone that we've all got used to covering up.   I punched out the cork and mirror and sanded down the finish on the wood.  I spray painted it blue but the blue was a little brighter that I though my Mother-in-law would like.  I'd planned on glazing the frame but it seemed more my style than hers so instead I glazed it (white washed it?) instead.  I took some white paint and watered it down and then using a rag I gently brushed that over the frame.  It toned down the blue nicely and gave it just the look I was going for.  The hooks I included are for curtains, they hook in really easily and securely and they're super cheap at the fabric store.

I love the way it turned out and my Mother-in-law was very happy with it.

Pin It

0 comments: